Kikizo interviews Julian Widdows of Swordfish Studios, about a variety of topics including their game Cold Winter, development and production of games, and on being an independent studio.
Interesting since it was done before Swordfish Studios was acquired by Vivendi Games, and includes questions about working with them.
Also has mention of Cold Winter 2; which seems to have been canceled since this interview was done or at least not properly announced.
Thanks to Kikizo for the source; the original interview is located here: http://games.kikizo.com/features/swordfish_videointerview_june05.asp
Topics in detail:
- Why was the Xbox version of Cold Winter cancelled?
- Integrating compelling storyline into gameplay?
- Balance of game narrative
- Creating diverse and believable game environmants
- Gritty world - not "freshly unpacked from Ikea"...
- Layers of effects to create a unique look
- Writing AI - intricacies, what's the goal?
- Cool stuff like combining items to make weapons
- Swordfish's previous project Hostine Waters, what happened?!
- Being one of Rage Software's eleven independent studios
- Getting IP back from Rage and selling it
- Exclusive - Cold Winter 2 confirmed! ;-)
- So what's "the greatest game you've never played"?!
- Working with VU Games (as answered before VU aquisition of Swordfish!)
- "It's hit the fan"...
- Experience of pitching projects to publishers
- Next-gen games becoming a lot more expensive and challenging to make
- Integrating physics into next-gen games
- Massive improvements in in-game genuine emotion and facial animation...
- "You look like a bag of bollocks".